10.29.2009

hampton jitney

Just like every other time, I woke up late for the 6:30am Jitney to Manhattan for chemo. At 5:35a (thanks to the train whistle) I woke from a sound slumber with 25mins. or so to get the bus.
In a foggy morning panic, I gathered the laptop off my bed and packed it. Then, pushed Charlotte awake and got her out of bed. Ran downstairs to let her out. Ran back up stairs to brush my teeth, wash my face and splish splashed a bit of a whore's bath (as my nanny used to call it). Threw on some clothes, applied some mascara to my remaining eye lashes. Then ran back downstairs to let Charlotte back in. Gave her food and her little pill.

Then ran back up stairs to switch my bag and all my gear: laptop, daily journal, meds, tons of useless crap into my 'city' bag. Then ran back downstairs.. got my coat, gathered my things, and hopped into the car at 6:18a. Drove down the street and realized I don't have my wallet.

Turned the car around ran into the house.. searched my 'nofo' bag and looked for the coat I wore yesterday. Realized.. my coat, with my wallet in the pocket, is hanging on a hook at Love Lane Kitchen.
LLK is closed 'til 7a. I have no money.

Got in the car. Thought to myself  I'll get on the bus. Worse comes to worse,  I'll mail them a check or something. What are they gonna do ..kick me off the bus?

Then turned the car around again.. ran back into the house (6:22a) and grabbed my checkbook.

I was at the bus stop by 6:29a. Parked the car, and the bus pulled up. Now here I am, settled in my seat 6:56a. I've got my jitney muffin and water and I nervously await the awkward conversation with the young floppy haired kid who will come around and ask for my fare. They don't take checks I've just heard him say over the loud speaker. On the computer I've written down my cc #.. we'll see if that will work. If not. I might be doing the rest of this post from the side of the road at exit 50.


It's 7:26 and floppy haired boy took the cc #'s, without the actual card. I'm safely a paid customer of hampton jitney. Now I can eat my muffin, enjoy the ride and contemplate the hell that awaits for the next 2 weeks without another distraction. Bummer.  Maybe we'll get a flat tire...fingers crossed.




0 comments:

.