8.14.2009

jr. is not a clunker

Jr. is my beloved 1987 BMW 528e. Purchased in Redondo Beach, CA 1996.

The other day I checked the federal website to see if she passed the clunker test. It was like the final question on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. The suspense was killing me. The thought that I could get $4500 for her was obviously too much to hope for. She didn't pass. A clunker she may be.. a federally determined gas guzzler she is not.

I really don't want to let her go. Years a go when I made a decent salary and she had a few problems here and there... I couldn't let her go. Now.. she's like a leper. Things are falling off constantly. Her muffler fell out the weekend before chemo began.

Lynne and I were driving out of my favorite farm stand when the muffler took it's final bow. We pulled out of the gravel drive way and heard a screeching, thumping... bad noise. When I leaned down to check out the situation I saw half the muffler on the ground. I've seen hundreds of mufflers fallen on the side of road over the years.. I've heard stories of guys taking mufflers out of cars for whatever loud reason. I realized people drive without mufflers..why can't I. Just to be safe, I called my friend Seamus to double check that we wouldn't explode or anything. He said we were fine. So, I tried to yank it off. The muffler wouldn't entirely break off so I swung the broken end around so it was now poking out behind the car like a tail. I found a bungee cord in my trunk, secured it on and Lynne and I were on our way. Alan my mechanic will put in a new one. Nothing kills jr. I don't want to let her go.

Now it's two weeks later. Jr. has been at the shop. It's $500 to fix ...Everyone thinks it's time for me to get a new car. So the decision needs to be made..get a new car or just fix her. I've had a few other things on my mind so I gave myself a deadline to decide what to do.
I don't want to let her go.

It's Friday morning I've reached my personal car decision making deadline. I love that brown broken down piece of crap.. jr.'s not a clunker she's my baby. Maybe after chemo I'll look for a new car. I'm not letting her go.

4 comments:

xoxo said...

Jeni,
I so understand. I paid $1700 for the final "fix" much against the advice of others. I decided that was $300 a month on a new car for six months. After six months, I bought a new one. By 2010, you may ready for new...Enjoy jr. till she can't be put together again.

Joe Orlando said...

I wish I could feel that way about a car! Mine is only two years young and I cant wait to get rid of her! My last car was the longest car I've had, and I had that for only 3 years...I think I have a problem!! LOL

Kim said...

Jr. is family. You can't just throw away family. She's the spirit of survival that thrives inside you!!! Keep her forever, or until you can afford to have 2 cars ...

Anonymous said...

I am with you 100% !! I still have the red Toyota for the same reasons!

.