12.27.2009

results..all good.

Results day December 23rd.
My results are good, chemo is definitely working!! YAY! 
The results of the scans, were 1 of 3 alternatives: watch & wait, Rituxin, or Zevelin.

I knew that at this stage of the game, I didn't want Zevelin.
Unless my scans proved to be shitty, Zevelin as far as I'm concerned, is my first Hail Mary. It can only be given once, because it screws up your bone marrow. Plus, the side effects are heavy.

I was hoping he'd say that I'd be in watch n' wait ... I'm a sucker for procrastinating and that seemed to be the best protocol.

Alas, I got door number two. I'll have to go on Rituxin maintenance. So every 8 weeks for the next 2 years. I'll have to go to Sloan and still get the one chemo drug. Blech!
It was a nerve wracking week or more waiting for the results. I was supposed to come into the city the night before but just couldn't wrap my mind around having fun and being around people so I stayed home in bed. As usual I took the morning jitney into the city.

Ali is away, so this time Sharon met up with Mom and I at Sloan.
After meeting with the Oncologist we had a delicious dinner at Four Seasons and then I hung out with Sage & Emma at the Blocks. Nothing like a delicious dinner with my mom and sister, then spending time with my nieces to get my mind off reality. I'm lucky to have them around.

Rituximab Maintenance has been standard procedure post R-CHOP chemotherapy for the past few years. Rituxin is the R of the R-CHOP chemo.
They say, two years of maintenance therapy with rituximab dramatically improves the chances of survival for patients suffering from one of the most frequent forms of lymphoma, indolent non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Certainly not the worst news a cancer patient can hear.. and I've heard Rituxin isn't that difficult to bear and the side effects aren't that bad.

But, it still sucks all the same. The thought of this damn port staying in me another two years, and having to go back to Sloan as a reminder that I do have cancer is just a total pain in the ass.

But again... it's also awesome. The out come of the scans could be far worse.
I'm lucky, happy and feeling pretty good. As soon as my hair grows back I'll look as good as I feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I am so thrilled to hear the good news. I am sorry you have to continue the drugs for another 2 years but I am sure your strength will keep the cancer from coming back. My father was a big believer in the human will. It's strong and powerful. Just like you. Looking forward to watching your hair come back and seeing you feel healthy again. Happy New Year!!! Wishing you a life time of health and happiness.xoxo Erika

Anonymous said...

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?

.